Stormrider!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ebook Reader Revolution??

Hey, have you all been watching this?  Are you aware that rumbling around in the background is a growing Ebook Reader 'war'?

After all this time, Ebooks appear to be coming into their own.  It looks like the future is exploding upon us.

First we had Amazon's Kindle.  Now more are following. Asus is going to offer us a new, more economical version (or so I hear) by the end of the year. Looks way cool, but I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one and see what features  it actually offers on release before I get too excited.

Then there's the new Barnes & Noble Nook.  They say it's the 'most advanced Ebook Reader in the World'.  Don't know if I buy that, and even if it's true now, how long will that be?

Moving on, there's the Sony Ebook Reader.  I have no experience with that one other than running across them occasionally in Borders bookstores.

Something is rumbling around at Apple, but it's hard to tell exactly what.  I, myself, usually find Apple to be a bit pricy. They also have what I've heard  called a Netbook.

The Zii Media book shows some real promise - I'm eager to see what that will offer for sure. A fully featured tablet with a color touch screen? Cool!

It's hard to tell right now what the future holds here.  I'm rooting for something really good and reasonably priced.  So far they've been too expensive when I can just use my laptop that only cost $450 and can do everything as opposed to say $250 for a dedicated reader that does only that.  But, I'm open!  In fact, I really do want an Ebook reader.

Problem is, they need to get a common platform so consumers can download from many sources, just like you can walk into any bookstore and pick up a book.  This dedicated thing where you can buy only from the source where you got the reader really is bad news.

Fascinating, no?  Hope you have fun checking them out...and maybe digging up something I've missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts Of Interest:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...